Sunday, March 13, 2011

Until Next Year!

For me, the timely presentations of two extraordinary individuals from opposite sides of the world stole the spotlight at Friday’s IMI – those of Professors Motoo Unno and Akbar Ahmed. Their wealth of experiences and nuanced insights shed light on contemporary issues in intercultural communication and lessons to be applied across a variety of sectors.

Professor Unno’s session supported guided discussion on differences in communication styles between American members of Congress and Japanese executives from Toyota during their hearings last year. It was fascinating how much could be gleaned about the two culture’s values from a few short video clips. The To Do – To Be continuum was completely new to me, but I am excited to reference it going forward in my career as I work to prepare college students to study abroad. The presentation allowed me to reflect on my own communication style as well and to note what aspects are more strongly associated with my American culture versus my individual personality.

During the lunch plenary, Professor Ahmed gave a rather informal but very powerful account of Muslim-American dialogue throughout the past fifty years. He illuminated how America’s foreign policy concerning Muslim nations affected domestic dialogue, but also how opening and strengthening local dialogues with Muslims at home can have a positive effect on international relations. I appreciated his frankness and his challenge to each of us to actively embrace and support peaceful Muslim communities in the U.S.

I very much want to thank the IMI team for all of their hard work and for the wonderful opportunity afforded through the EDF scholarship. I hope to be able to participate for many years to come and support the conference as it settles into its new home in the SIS building!

No comments:

Post a Comment