Thursday, March 10, 2011

Highs and Lows

I entered my first session of the morning, only to be immediately disappointed. The session was exactly the same as one I had attended last year. Yes, I attended the session knowing that I had seen these presenters before; I also knew that I had previously enjoyed their presentations. I had hoped they would have interesting updates on their work, but no. The content, including the slides, was exactly the same. This did not leave me with high expectations for the rest of the day.

My day improved as I moved on to my next session. Here I learned about the benefits of embedded program assessment, and I found out about American University's commitment to excellence. I know I will be able to use the tips and resources I was given in my own work as a scholar and educator.

Lara Logan's keynote was thought-provoking. I found her to be an engaging speaker, and I enjoyed her opinions and stories about intercultural communication. I left lunch wanting to hear more, and so attended Logan's next session. However, I soon became tired of her offensive use of language, and insulting remarks about the military and foreign service.

Coffee breaks and lunch time gave me a chance to catch up with old colleagues and form new bonds with fellow students. It was great to hear about the projects people are engaged in. I hope to continue our conversations tomorrow, and into the future. All in all it was a mixed day.

No comments:

Post a Comment