Thursday, March 10, 2011

The first day of IMI's 12th Annual Conference on Intercultural Relations made me proud to be an AU student! After recently returning from a slightly disappointing trip to Boston for Harvard's Social Enterprise Conference, I decided to keep my expectations in check. However, I was pleasantly surprised by a lovely day of reuniting with past connections, building new networks, collaborating with other like-minded individuals, and ultimately growing as a communications for development professional.

My morning got off to a great start with Assem 'Awesome' Nasr. With a bundle of energy, Assem shared his insights into the world of Lebanese consumerism and the commercials that fuel consumption. With mesmerizing media clips, results-focused research, and passionate personal recounts of his persistence to purchase Nike's, Assem captivated the crowd.

Like a roller coaster, my low of the day came during this session as well. As Assem divided us into two groups, he asked each team to come up with a list of possible perceptions of Muslims and Americans. My team recounted views that some may have about Muslims with reluctance and reservation, but the opposing team (of mainly Americans) eagerly announced that Americans are viewed as loud, religion-less, overweight...and on and on. Although it was a simple exercise, hearing these negative generalizations was hurtful. But then again, that's why it's not good to stereotype...

Lunch with Lara Logan was a second high. Lara's feisty honesty and apolitical rhetoric was extremely refreshing in a town such as DC that tends to dance around the issues. Lara's obvious passion for journalism inflamed my deepest desires to get back to the field as soon as possible. Her confidence and convictions were moving, and her insistence on integrity inspired me to hold true to my beliefs and aspire to make a difference by pursuing my own passion of communications for development.

Now, my hopes are way up, and I can't wait to see what's in store for tomorrow! My picks for day two include "Clashing Cultures: Consulting in Afghanistan", "Addressing Islamophobia through Film & Dialogue", and "Cultural Considerations in Doing Business in MENA". If you share my passions, I'll see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment