Saturday, March 12, 2011

Day 2

Today started metaphorically, literally. What? Walking into my first session, I was presented a room with pictures randomly scattered atop all of the desks in the room. Everyone was asked to select one that represented our cross-cultural experiences. Once we were settled, each of us introduced ourselves and why that photograph was representative. The stories were pretty personal, diffused tension and created an instant feeling of friendship. We went on to talk about how effective metaphors are for understanding across cultures. Chuck and Judy provided tons of resources for engaging materials for future training. This metaphorical start to the day literally got me jazzed for more sessions.

Next, we talked about a very literal culture clash. Suzanne Zaldivar shared her successes and struggles working in organizational development in a truly complex place, Afghanistan. She remarked of the great beauty, history and people that inspired her work. She is clearly an accomplished professional but what struck me most was the sensitivity and warmth with which she conducts her work. This presentation was more than just about work. We talked about great books, movies, and metaphors for understanding conflict. In all, an eye opening experience.

Today’s keynote speaker was Ambassador Akbar Ahmed, a distinguished man of many talents and a sharp wit. His presence at the conference was a real treat. Dr. Ahmed incorporated poetry, history, politics, the audience, and humor to his presentation. I attended the Q & A session with him afterward. He started with questions for the audience and contrary to my initial impression, they were not rhetorical. The result was a lively discussion. When Dr. Ahmed began fielding questions, I had to take notes. His rich and nuanced responses were thought provoking and awe inspiring. I could have listened to him talk for the rest of the day! A person like that is in high-demand and he was called away for another engagement, so I grabbed a cookie and moved on to the “Mr. Khan Exercise”.

As it so happens, I am familiar with this experiential technique of cultural awareness training but had only read about it in books. Brave Sonya from the audience volunteered to engage with Mr. Khan and tried her hardest to make some progress only to find out her version of progress was wildly different from Mr. Khan’s. I was only an audience member but seeing this simulation has really made me question my own perspective on life, work and relationships. We had a wonderful surprise at the end of the exercise. Dr. Weaver informed us that this was THE original Mr. Khan….he has played this role since the simulation was developed; a living legend of sorts. This made participation all the more special.
We wrapped up the conference with delicious hot hors d'oeuvres and a few prizes. Although I didn’t leave with a book or a trip, I left with more valuable experiences and friendships than I could have possibly expected. Will I be an annual IMI Conference participant? Absolutely. I’m hooked!

Thank you to all of the organizers, presenters and EDF for giving me such a wonderful opportunity!

No comments:

Post a Comment